Native Ads Now Available For All MoPub Publishers
A complete solution for direct sold and exchange traded native ads, delivering the same control and transparency to publishers that we are known for.
Last December, we started testing native ads with a small set of publishers. Our goal was to understand how native ads would perform for advertisers and more importantly, how users would react to these ad formats in their mobile apps. Today, our exchange reaches over one billion iOS and Android users and serves more than 130B ad requests every month in standard banner formats. We think the opportunity of native advertising is significantly larger.
That’s why we are excited to announce the general availability of our full stack ad serving and exchange solution for native ads. Starting tomorrow, any publisher can use MoPub’s native ads platform to serve direct-sold or in-house native ads, and auction inventory on MoPub Marketplace.
Example of a native ad experience within the Flipboard app
“MoPub’s native ads solution lets us control the whole ad experience – from setting minimum price floors and prioritizing direct advertisers over house ads to blocking certain ad categories and limiting how often a user sees a creative. We have a level of transparency into what our users see, and control over how and when they see it,” said Eric Feng, CTO of Flipboard.
We’ve learned that not only are native ads a significant improvement for publisher monetization in general, but that users engage with these ad formats at a higher rate than the desktop-era banners and interstitials that are so prevalent today in mobile. Because of this, monetization through native ads can deliver a considerably better experience for users and also a better ROI for marketers.
Tango, a free mobile messaging service, and one of MoPub’s earliest publishers to test the Native Ad suite had this to say about the performance:
“We chose MoPub to develop native ads because their solution gives us the unique flexibility to work with our direct advertisers like Supercell and hundreds of other advertisers from their exchange. Since our launch in December, we’ve used MoPub to scale our advertising revenue, while providing a great user experience,” said Richard Rabbat, VP of Ads and Platform at Tango.
A complete publisher native ads solution: ad serving, targeting, and programmatic exchange
Our native ads platform provides three components:
- The native ad SDK, which can be used to create a customized ad unit inside of your app
- The ad server, which allows you to traffic your own ad campaigns into your native inventory. Publishers have full budgeting support, a rich array of targeting options, integrated reporting and a full order and line items system for trafficking native ad campaigns for in-house campaigns and direct sold campaigns alike
- Our native ad extension to OpenRTB, which allows demand partners to bid on your native ads no matter how they are rendered in your app
Taken together, the MoPub native ad solution gives you complete flexibility to build your native ads business without compromises.
We’ve built native ads support into every aspect of the MoPub platform. Publishers can run native ad units with complete control and the sophistication they have come to expect from our ad serving platform, including:
- Powerful targeting options, including device targeting, location targeting, day-part targeting, carrier targeting, and keyword targeting
- Frequency capping
- Creative management
- Complete prioritization control over the ads waterfall
- Campaign management functionality including – ability to run CPC and CPM campaigns, different delivery algorithms for achieving campaign goals, ability to add and modify creatives on the fly
- Full reporting suite that includes details for each app, ad unit, and breaks down revenue by platform
In addition to the ad serving controls mentioned above, publishers can leverage all of MoPub Marketplace pricing and creative control features including price floors and block lists for native ad inventory. This fully integrated experience is a considerably more powerful approach than simply connecting to a single demand source or native ad network.
MoPub’s native ads solution offers the same powerful controls that publishers have for direct ads, the MoPub Marketplace, and promotional campaigns.
A call for standards
We believe that establishing an open standard for native ads will be instrumental to advertiser performance and publisher revenue. To this end, we have submitted to the IAB working group a Native Ads Extension to the OpenRTB spec.
In fact, advertisers have quickly adopted this standard extension to OpenRTB, with over 10 DSP partners already buying based on these standards. With a common framework on the buy-side, the industry as a whole will benefit from increased demand for native ad formats. Publisher participation in MoPub’s Marketplace is still subject to approval by the MoPub policy team to ensure that your app complies with viewability and other impression and click tracking standards.
Get started today