Last updated: December 17, 2014
Section 1 describes how MoPub collects and uses information from end users in providing the MoPub Services; Section 2 describes how MoPub collects and uses information about MoPub Customers and the information MoPub collects when an individual uses the MoPub website; and Section 3 contains information about our privacy practices that apply to both the information we collect from end users through the MoPub Services and the information we collect from MoPub Customers and users of our website.
Section 1: End User Information
The Information We Collect
When you interact with a website or app that uses the MoPub Services, we may collect information about your device and the ads you view or click. The MoPub Services are designed to avoid collecting information that identifies you personally, such as your name, address, or email address, but the information we collect does enable us to recognize your device over time. The information we collect includes, but is not limited to:
- Information about your device, such as the type and model, manufacturer, operating system (e.g. iOS or Android), carrier name, IP address, mobile browser (e.g. Chrome, Safari), applications using the MoPub Services and the version of such applications, and identifiers assigned to your device, such as its iOS Identifier for Advertising (IDFA), Android Advertising ID, or unique device identifier (a number uniquely allocated to your device by your device manufacturer).
- Log information, including the app or website visited, session start/stop time, time zone, and network connection type (e.g., WiFi, cellular), and cookie information.
- The geo-location of your device (using GPS or other geo-location data), when location services have been enabled for the mobile app or website that uses the MoPub Services.
- Information about ads served, viewed, or clicked on, such as the type of ad, where the ad was served, whether you clicked on it, and whether you visited the advertiser’s website or purchased the product or service advertised.
- Information that MoPub Customers and other third parties have collected and share with MoPub, such as information about activity in their services. This may include the content you view or searches you made, the language you prefer, or other non-personally identifying demographic or interest information, to help make the ads served to you more relevant.
How We Use the Information We Collect
We use the information we collect to provide and improve MoPub Services, including for the following purposes:
- Serving ads: Allowing publishers to offer advertising inventory in their mobile apps and websites, and advertisers to bid on and fill that inventory.
- Ad Reporting and Conversions: Reporting to advertisers information about when and how users have been exposed to their ads, clicked on their ads, or visited their website, and reporting to publishers information about when and how ads were shown on their properties and were clicked on.
- Frequency Capping: Preventing users from seeing the same ad too many times.
- Fraud Detection and Prevention: Identifying invalid clicks (or ad queries) and protecting MoPub and MoPub Customers from fraudulent behavior.
- Interest-Based Advertising: Allowing MoPub and MoPub Customers to infer interests and serve ads to users based on their app and website activity and inferred interests.
- Geo-Targeting: Where permitted by the user’s device, allowing MoPub and MoPub Customers to serve ads based on a user’s location.
- Providing and Improving Our Services: Auditing, researching, and analyzing data in order to maintain, protect, and improve our Services and develop new services, and to ensure that our technologies function properly.
MoPub will not combine the non-personally identifiable information collected to provide the MoPub Services with your personally-identifying information without your express consent.
How We Share the Information We Collect
We share the information we collect to provide and improve MoPub Services, as follows:
- We share with advertiser customers information so that they can decide whether to bid on ad inventory or serve an advertisement and choose the best ad for that device. MoPub Customers are obligated to use the information they receive in compliance with applicable laws and regulations.
- We share aggregate or non-personally identifiable information about the use of our Services with MoPub Customers. For example, we provide advertisers reports showing how many users viewed or clicked on their ads. We also provide publishers reports about the types of ads served to their apps.
Your iOS mobile device may provide a “Limit Ad Tracking” setting. On Android devices, your settings may allow you to “Opt out of Interest-Based Ads.” When you have opted out using this setting on a device, MoPub will not use in-app information collected from that device to infer your interests or serve ads to that device that are targeted based on your inferred interests. Your mobile web browser may also provide a “Do Not Track” browser setting. When you have enabled this setting in your browser, MoPub will not use mobile web browsing information from that browser to infer your interests or serve ads to that device that are targeting based on your inferred interests. MoPub requires its advertising customers to honor opt-out preferences expressed using these controls.
Privacy Practices of MoPub Customers
MoPub does not permit the MoPub Service to be used to collect information from apps directed to children for purposes of creating interest-based profiles or serving ads based on users’ inferred interests. MoPub may collect information from apps directed to children for other purposes, such as serving advertisements based on contextual information, like the the content or type of the application (for example, serving an ad for a video game to a gaming app).
Section 2: Data Collected from MoPub Customers and on MoPub’s Website
To become a MoPub Customer, you may be asked to provide certain personal information, including your name, email address, physical address, phone number, and company name. You also may be asked to provide personal information in certain fields on this website. Registration information is used to provide the MoPub Services and to send promotional information about the MoPub Services. For example, when you sign up for an email newsletter or alerts about our products and Services, MoPub will use your email address to deliver the newsletter or alerts requested. To opt out of any newsletter, please follow the unsubscribe instructions in that email.
Web Log Information
When you visit our websites, our servers automatically record certain information in our log files. This web log information includes your IP address, browser type, operating system, the referring web page, pages visited, and cookie information. Like many websites, we use web log information, along with cookies, pixels, and similar technologies, to operate our websites, better understand how they are used, resolve technical problems, and enhance your experience on our sites.
Cookies are small files that websites place on your computer as you browse the web. A pixel is a small amount of code on a web page and is often used in connection with cookies. Most web browsers automatically accept cookies. You can instruct your browser, by changing its settings, to stop accepting cookies or to prompt you before accepting a cookie from the websites you visit. However, some sites may not function properly if you disable cookies.
Information Sharing and Disclosure
Section 3: General Information
Information Sharing and Disclosure
We will share information when we have your consent to do so.
Information Collected by Others
Confidentiality and Security
MoPub has implemented reasonable security measures in order to protect both personal and non-personal information from loss, misuse and unauthorized access, disclosure, alteration or destruction.
Changes in Corporate Structure
Consent to Data Processing
EU Safe Harbor Framework
MoPub, Inc. complies with the U.S.-E.U. and U.S.-Swiss Safe Harbor Privacy Principles of notice, choice, onward transfer, security, data integrity, access, and enforcement. To learn more about the Safe Harbor program, and to view our certification, please visit theU.S. Department of Commerce website.
If you have any questions about this policy, please feel free to contact us at email@example.com.