MoPub Policies for Demand Side Partners
Last Updated: September 29, 2016
If you choose to use the MoPub Platform, including MoPub Marketplace, you are required to adhere to the following policies, any applicable portions of MoPub’s Terms of Service , and agreements you have entered into with MoPub. If you fail to comply, we reserve the right to disable your account. Twitter’s Ads Policies may also apply.
Please note that we may change our policies at any time. It is your responsibility to keep up to date with and adhere to the policies posted here.
If you have any questions about any of our creative ad restrictions or policy guidelines, please contact your Account Team or firstname.lastname@example.org .
Demand Partners must respect privacy flags, such as DNT, when provided. Demand Partners may use data from any user that they know to be under 13, or from any bid request flagged with dnt = 1 or COPPA = 1, solely for frequency capping and contextual advertising (the delivery of advertisements based upon a consumer’s current visit to a web page or a single search query, without the collection and retention of data about the consumer’s online activities over time). Demand Partners may not use such data to create user or device profiles; to contact a specific individual, including through interest-based advertising; or for any other purpose. Demand Partners must also abide by any other user- or device-level choices made known to them by MoPub or independently.
Demand partners may not use the MoPub services to identify or track individual end users, or to infer, collect, or associate with any end user, household, or device any information concerning racial or ethnic origin, political opinions, religious or philosophical affiliation or beliefs, trade-union membership, health or sex life, criminal convictions or alleged commission of an offense.
Demand Partners must not use any data received through MoPub’s services for purposes other than those set out in the MoPub policies and agreements entered into with MoPub, and must implement reasonable and appropriate technical and organizational measures to protect such data from loss, misuse and unauthorized access, disclosure, alteration and destruction. Demand Partners must also provide a way for individuals to contact them with inquiries and requests regarding their information.
If for any reason a Demand Partner is unable to comply with a privacy obligation set out in the MoPub policies or agreements entered into with MoPub, it must promptly inform MoPub by contacting email@example.com with the subject “Privacy Shield: Demand Partner Non-Compliance”; take all reasonable and appropriate steps to remedy such non-compliance; and cease use of any data received through MoPub’s services unless and until such non-compliance can be remedied.
Demand Partners must not serve ads which promote the following content.
- Ads making misleading or deceptive claims : IAB26-1 (Illegal Content)
- Adult sexual content : IAB25-3 (Pornography)
- Copyrighted materials : IAB26-4 (Copyright Infringement)
- Counterfeit goods : IAB26-4 (Copyright Infringement)
- Drugs and drug paraphernalia : IAB26-1 (Illegal Content)
- Endangered species products : IAB26-1 (Illegal Content)
- Hate content, sensitive topics and violence : IAB25-5 (Hate Content), IAB25-2 (Extreme Graphic/Explicit Violence)
- Illegal products and services : IAB26-1 (Illegal Content)
- Incentivized clicks and downloads: IAB25-7 (Incentivized)*
- Lotteries content within the United States: IAB3-7 (Government)
- Spyware and illegal hacking : IAB26-3 (Spyware/Malware)
- Tobacco and tobacco accessories : IAB9-9 (Cigars)
- P2P file-sharing apps, torrent or any apps that facilitate or promote copyright infringement : IAB26-4 (Copyright Infringement)
- Unauthorized ticket sales : IAB26-1 (Illegal Content)
- Weapons and weapons accessories : IAB26-1 (Illegal Content)
For technical implementation, please refer to the MoPub RTB2.3 Spec as a guide.
*Note: Check MoPub Policies for Supply Side Partners for information about Rewarded videos. Mediated in-app rewarded video ads can be run by Supply Partners subject to some restrictions.
Demand Partners may run advertisements that contain the following content, or that promote the following categories of products and services, only as permitted under Twitter’s Ads Policies in selected markets.
- Alcohol content:
- IAB8-5 (Cocktails/Beer), IAB8-18 (Wine)
- Financial services:
- IAB13-1 (Beginning Investing), IAB13-2 (Credit/Debt & Loans), IAB13-4 (Financial Planning), IAB13-5 (Hedge Fund), IAB13-6 (Insurance), IAB13-7 (Investing), IAB13-8 (Mutual Funds), IAB13-9 (Options), IAB13-10 (Retirement Planning), IAB13-11 (Stocks)
- Gambling content:
- IAB9-7 (Card Games)
- Lotteries content outside of the United States:
- IAB3-7 (Government)
- Health and pharmaceutical products and services:
- IAB7-5 (Alternative Medicine)
- Political campaigning:
- IAB11-4 (Politics)
Prior to running campaigns in any of the above categories, please contact your MoPub Account Team or firstname.lastname@example.org .
Prohibited Content for Minors
Demand Partners may not use the MoPub Service to target or re-target to users under the age of 13, nor to websites or apps directed to users under the age of 13.
In addition to the Restricted Content listed above, Demand Partners may not use the MoPub Service to knowingly market or advertise the following products or services to users under the age of 18:
- Alcoholic beverages and related accessories
- Weapons, ammunition, or weapons training/certification
- Projectile, BB, or pellet guns/devices
- Aerosol paint or etching cream capable of defacing property
- Tobacco products or accessories, including electronic cigarettes
- Any controlled substance or paraphernalia
- Drug paraphernalia
- Any substance/material containing Salvia divinorum or Salvinorin A
- Dietary supplement products
- Tanning in an ultraviolet tanning device
- Gambling products and services, including lotteries
- Body branding such as tattooing, body piercing, or permanent cosmetics
- Sexual products and services or content adult in nature
Prohibited Creative Attributes
Demand Partners must not serve ads with these creative attributes or behaviors:
- (IAB8) Pop (e.g. Over, Under, or Upon Exit)
- (IAB14) Windows Dialog or Alert Style (e.g., any creative that a user might mistake for an OS or application-level notification rather than an advertisement): This includes, but is not limited to, deceptive ads that resemble user interface elements (e.g., text boxes) and creatives that mimic buttons or icons that claim a functionality that is not there (e.g., play, chat, wink, friends, search buttons)
- For technical information, please refer to the MoPub RTB2.3 Spec as a guide.
- (IAB3) Expandable (Automatic) – ads that automatically expand without the user’s engagement or action (e.g., click, touch)
- Auto-redirect: ads that automatically redirect the user without the user’s engagement or action (e.g., click, touch)
- (IAB11) Ads that do not ask the user for permission before initiating any downloads/installations/services/fees. This includes Click-to-Call and Click-to-Subscribe ads that do not include an intermediary landing page or other prompt that clearly explains the terms and/or fees associated with the call or subscription.
- Ads and Demand Partner use of the MoPub platform that interfere with the operation of MoPub’s network. For example, use that interferes with the normal operation of an end user’s device, or otherwise creates a safety or security risk to the MoPub platform, our customers, or our end users, is prohibited.
All creatives must comply with technical requirements stated in our MoPub RTB2.3 Spec and must provide the following information with every ad request sent via the MoPub SDK:
- Image URL: The image URL inputted by the Demand Partner must match the user displayed image.
- Note: iURL for VAST or MRAID bid responses is not required to match the user displayed image. Demand Partners may either submit the preview link or provide a representative example.
- Landing page: If the landing page is to an app store, it should have the correct app store link (e.g., if the device is a Kindle, landing page should go to Kindle app store).
- Must match the top level domain for the advertiser landing page and must be passed with only .com or .countrycode appended (e.g., domain.com or domain.ie).
- In the case of app store destinations, the adomain should represent the app’s equivalent URL and not the full app store URL (e.g., for Candy Crush Saga, the adomain should be “candycrushsaga.com” and not “king.com”).
- In the case of apps that do not have a registered domain, please use [app name].com (e.g., mopubapp.com).
- Video settings: Demand Partners must comply with all publisher’s video settings (VAST auto-play video, MRAID auto-play video, MRAID click-to-play video), including but not limited to:
- Serve video only to video-enabled bid requests
- Serve video only to interstitial ad placements
- Respect publishers’ min/max duration values as indicated in the in bid request.
Note: For more information on video ads, please refer to the Video Ads: Video Ads: Best Practices and Self-Testing.
MRAID close button delay:
- MRAID interstitial video ads must include a close button and adhere to no longer than a 5 second close delay.
- MRAID close button delay for playable ads are allowed up to 5 seconds delay in all inventory. Please note that:
- Advertisers must not serve when the publisher declares IAB creative attribute 13 in the battr[ ] fields.
- Advertisers must use IAB creative attribute 13 for this type of ads.
- DSPs must have ‘MRAID playable’ in the crtype field when sending a playable ad.
Failing to comply with the above will result in a violation of this policy and can be subject to penalties.
Editorial Content Policies
Our editorial guidelines are in place to ensure that users have a positive user experience with creatives on MoPub.
- Accurate and clear content: Creatives should be of high editorial quality. Those which are gimmicky, misleading, or of low editorial quality are prohibited.
- Offensive language: Do not include language in creatives that could offend or shock users (e.g., IAB25-4 Profane Content).
Marketplace Pricing Confidentiality and Bidding
All pricing information is confidential and may not be shared with any other party besides MoPub, except as expressly permitted by MoPub or otherwise required by law. MoPub reserves the right to terminate all Marketplace participation if there is a breach of confidentiality for pricing or other confidential auction-related information.
The highest bid may not always win an auction, such as when a buyer, seller, or MoPub specifies requirements on bidding terms, or specifies exclusions regarding who may buy its inventory. The MoPub Marketplace allows for transactions in real time, and bids and offers may compete simultaneously against multiple other bids and offers.
MoPub makes no guarantee regarding the level of impressions of ads, the timing of delivery of such impressions or the amount of any resulting payment to be made.
Your use of MoPub’s services is subject to any applicable portions of MoPub’s Terms of Service , license agreements, privacy policies, content policies and our other legal rights. If we suspect that an ad is in violation of our rights or policies, then we may stop it from running, and it may no longer be accepted in MoPub. We may also decrease your QPS, and block certain creatives, landing pages, or content. In some cases, including but not limited to multiple or severe violations of our rights or policies, we may suspend or terminate your account.
For any queries concerning MoPub Policies for Demand Side Partners, please contact your MoPub Account Team or email@example.com .